VMware has started October 2015 with a bunch of patches, a security advisory and a major bug in their latest ESXi 5.5 release.
New Product Releases
The following products were released today:
- VMware vCenter Server 5.0 Update 3e and modules [Release Notes] [Download]
- VMware vCenter Server 5.1 Update 3b and modules [Release Notes] [Download]
- VMware ESXi 5.0 Build 3086167
- VMware ESXi 5.1 Build 3070626
- VMware Mirage 5.5.0 [Release Notes] [Download]
- VMware NSX for vSphere 6.1.5 [Release Notes] [Download]
If you are interested in getting notified about new products, you can subscribe to my vTracker RSS Feed.
VMware NSX for vSphere 6.1.5
You might be aware that NSX 6.2 has been released two weeks ago. NSX 6.2 is new major version of the product. There will probably still be updates for NSX 6.1 in the future. In this update, the NSX Manager user interface has been enhanced to display the connectivity status between NSX controllers in the controller cluster. This allows you to view connectivity differences between nodes.
VMware Mirage 5.5.0
The latest version of VMwares EUC managing software introduces the following new features:
- Branch PC technicians and administrators can provision new laptops and desktops directly from the device using the self-service provisioning interface.
- Administrators can specify base layer and app layer download only operations and manually initiate layer updates for a future time, for example, off-peak hours.
- Administrators can specify bandwidth limitation rules according to time and day.
- Administrators can update base layers and app layers by using the Mirage API and Mirage PowerCLI.
- Bare-metal provisioning supports POSReady 2009.
VMware vSphere 5.1 and 5.0 Updates
Information about the resolved issues can be found in the release notes:
- Resolved Issues in vCenter Server 5.0
- Resolved Issues in vCenter Server 5.1
- Resolved Issues in ESXi 5.0
- Resolved Issues in ESXi 5.1
The latest ESXi 5.0 Build number is now: 3086167
The latest ESXi 5.1 Build number is now: 3070626
Updated: ESXi Release and Build Number History
VMware Security Advisories VMSA-2015-0007
VMware has released a security advisory that addresses VMware vCenter and ESXi for nearly all versions of 5.x and 6.0. The document describes 3 issues:
- VMware ESXi OpenSLP Remote Code Execution
- VMware vCenter Server JMX RMI Remote Code Execution
- VMware vCenter Server vpxd denial-of-service vulnerability
If you have one of the following products, you should have a look at VMSA-2015-0007.
Caution! ESXi 5.5 U3 (Build 3029944) has a Snapshot Bug that conflicts with this VMSA.
- VMware ESXi 5.0 Build < 3086167
- VMware ESXi 5.1 Build < 3070626
- VMware ESXi 5.5 Build < 3029944 (Snapshot Bug)
- VMware vCenter Server 6.0 < 6.0 U1
- VMware vCenter Server 5.5 < 5.5 U3
- VMware vCenter Server 5.1 < 5.1 U3b
- VMware vCenter Server 5.0 < U.0 u3e