VMware Workstation 10 is now available for download. There are some great new features that have been added to the new release including OS support for Windows 8.1, SSD Passthrough and VM Hardware Version 10. As always, the release is available as free Trial (30 Days), Update (119,- USD ex VAT) and Full Version (249,- USD ex VAT).
- Guest OS Support for Windows 8.1
- Virtual Machine Hardware Version 10
- 16 vCPUs, 8 TB disks, 64GB memory
- SSD Passthrough
- 20 virtual networks
- USB3 streams support
- Virtual Tablet Sensors
- Advanced Restrictions (Expiring VMs)
- Multiple Monitor Navigation
- Power Off Suspended Virtual Machines
Read more »
One of my favorite developments by VMware is the vCenter Server Virtual Appliance (vCSA) as I want to get rid of as much Windows Machines as possible in my environments. It also simplifies the administration because you do not to have to configure and patch another operating system. Unfortunately the vCSA is really rare in a production environment. In my opinion this is caused by the fact that the vCenter Server Appliance always has some limitations, which are often not completely understood.
Here are the limitations from the current version of VMware vCenter Server Appliance 5.1: Read more »
Tired from uploading VMware Support logs to VMware tickets i wanted to do this job with just one click. I wrote a script which can be used to upload files to VMwares FTP server quite fast. The script uses the FTPupload howto from KB1008525. Please open a ticket with VMware prior to start this script, to get a support request number. You need the ticketnumber to run the script. Read more »
VMware has released the second Workstation Technology Preview including better WSX performance. I want to give WSX another try with Android and Windows 8 Consumer Preview.
The WSX Server now comes as independent installation package which is really nice. I could install the package inside an Ubuntu 12.04 box without any problems. But when i try to start the WSX Server i got an error:
root@wsx:~# /etc/init.d/vmware-wsx-server start
.: 26: Can't open /vmware/scripts/util.sh
According to the documentation this startupscript should work, but in my case it didn’t. If you have similar issues, you can run the wsx server from the binaries directory:
[I 120624 00:08:38 server:53] Listening on port 8888
The WSX Server works great. As the author stated here, the support for Android lacks a little bit. I was able to connect to the WSX Server with my Samsung Galaxy Tab (Andorid 2.3.6) but there were some input issues. But it’s great to see that they are working in this section.
VMware WSX Server also works with Windows 8 Customer Preview:
Microsoft Windows 8 Release Preview is now available to download. I will show how to install the current release inside VMware Workstation 8
1. Get the Install ISO here.
2. Create a new Virtual Machine.
3. Select “Typical” and click “Next >”
4. Select “I will install the operating system later”.
5. Choose Windows 7 x64 as operating system.
6. Enter a name for your virtual machine.
7. 40 GB disk size should be enough for Windows 8
8. Finish the Wizard and right click the virtual machine to edit the settings. Assign 2 CPUs, 2GB RAM and insert the ISO file
9. Power on the virtual machine and do a standard installation
10. After the installation has finished, mount the VMware Tools ISO and do a standard installation.
11. Reboot the virtual machine. Windows 8 is running fine with VMware Workstation 8