There have been many rumors about the N40L supporting 8GB modules which enables the server to use up to 16GB of memory. This would be a great enhancement, especially with the new vSphere 5.1 where the many appliances requiring more physical memory. First of all, the 8GB modules are not supported by HP so upgrade at your own risk.
I picked together all the modules which have been successfully tested with the HP N40L MicroServer:
8 GB Modules
- 1x 8GB: Corsair 8GB DDR3 DRAM 1333MHz 240-pin PC3 10600 (CMV8GX3M1A1333C9)
- 2x 8GB: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM PC3 10666 (PGD316G1333ELK)
4 GB Modules
- 2x 4GB: Kingston HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10600 (KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G)
- 2x 4GB: PNY Optima DDR3 SDRAM 1333 (MD8192KD3-1333)
- 2x 4GB: Crucial 8GB Kit 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 (CT1508549)
- 1x 4GB: Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (KVR1333D3N9/4G)
Note the difference between kit and single module prior to buy. Please comment if you can report any other working modules or have problems with the modules above.