vSphere 6.7 has been released and as known from previous versions, VMware provides a free version of their Hypervisor ESXi for everyone again. The license key can be created for free at VMware's website. It has no expiration date. The binaries you will receive as "Free Hypervisor" are 100% identical to the paid version but with some software limitations.
Tech Specs and Limitations
- No commercial support (But great community support)
- Free ESXi cannot be added to a vCenter Server
- Some API functionality is missing
- No physical CPU limitation
- Number of logical CPUs per host: 480
- Maximum vCPUs per virtual machine: 8
Other limitations like the 32GB Memory or 2 CPU Socket limit are no longer in place.
If you already obtained a free key for ESXi 6.0 or 6.5 and you want to upgrade to 6.7, you can proceed to use the old key. All key are valid for vSphere 6.0, 6.5 and 6.7.
- Go to VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 6.7 Download Page
- Login or create an account
- Register for ESXi (Enter some personal information)
After registration, you will receive a unique license key and access to the binaries. If you already have an ESXi 6.x license key, you don't need to sign up for a new key.
- Download VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.7 - Binaries
- Install ESXi to your Hardware (Create a Bootable ESXi Installer USB Flash Drive)
- Login as root with the Embedded Host Client (https://<ESX>/ui/)
- Navigate to Manage -> Licensing
- Click Assign license and enter your license key