With the release of NSX-T 3.1, VMware has further improved the key innovations shipped in NSX-T 3.0. This article takes a quick look at the new features and provides Upgrade Best Practices for a seamless upgrade.
What's new in NSX-T 3.1?
- Production-Ready Federation - Cross-site resiliency and single point of management.
- Multicast - Feature enhancements enable multicast in a multi-tenant environment with support for congruent unicast and multicast topologies.
- Single NSX Manager Support - In conjunction with vSphere HA, NSX-T now supports a single NSX-T Manager deployment in production deployments.
- vRealize Network Insight (vRNI) - vRNI integration enhances network modeling with configuration assurance and intent verification.
- NSX Intelligence 1.2 - Physical Server Support and L7 content profile recommendations.
- Support for VMware Life Cycle Manager - Simplify NSX life cycle management and improves upgrade times.
- Advanced Threat Prevention - Secure East-West Traffic with new Advanced Threat Prevention (ATP) Capabilities including Distributed IDS/IPS, Network Sandboxing, Network Traffic Analytics/Networking Detection, and Response (NTA/NDR).
- Distributed IPS – Enhancements to the IDS with the ability to prevent lateral threat movement on east-west traffic across your environments
- Shared Transport VLAN - You can now use the same Overlay (Geneve) VLAN for Host and Edge Transport Nodes on the same physical adapter.
NSX-T 3.1 Upgrade Best Practises
NSX-T is a critical component in your vSphere Environment. Proper planning is critical to assure a seamless upgrade.
Release Notes - This is typically the first step and crucial for all VMware products.
- Interop List for VMware NSX-T Data Center 3.1.0
- Interop List for VMware NSX-T Data Center 3.0.2
- Interop List for VMware NSX-T Data Center 3.0.1
- Interop List for VMware NSX-T Data Center 3.0.0
- Interop List for VMware NSX-T Data Center 2.5.1
- Interop List for VMware NSX-T Data Center 2.5.0
Note: Direct upgrade from NSX-T 2.4 or older is not supported.
- VMware Cloud Director (Version 10.2 required)
- VMware Cloud Director Availability (Not supported)
- VMware Integrated OpenStack (Not supported)
- VMware vRealize Operations Manager (Version 8.1.1 required)
- vRealize Network Insight (Version 6.0.0 required)
- VMware Skyline Collector (Not supported)
- VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Integrated Edition (Not supported)
- VMware Telco Cloud Automation (Not supported)
Work with the NSX-T Data Center Upgrade Checklist. This is a great way to track your work on the upgrade process.
Make yourself familiar with the operational impact of the NSX-T Data Center Upgrade.
For upgrading installations, you need to download the Upgrade Bundle (.mub). This is the entry point for the upgrade.