Have you ever wondered that the VMware vCenter Server build number mentioned in Release Notes does not match with the build number displayed in the vSphere Client? There are many different versions and build numbers used through the product. How the numbering works is different from Releases to Release. Here is an example of version numbers used in vSphere 6.7:
- vCenter Server 6.7 U3f
- Appliance Version: 188.8.131.52000
- Windows Application Version: 184.108.40.206288
- ISO/Installer/Update Build: 15976714
- Appliance Build Number: 15976728
- Windows Build Number: 15976721
In this article, I am going to explain where these numbers are used and also how the numbering differs from vSphere Release to vSphere Release (eg. vSphere 6.7 numbering standards differ from vSphere 6.5).