Double check your vendor support when updating ESXi hosts from VMware vSphere 5.5 to 6.0. There are a lot of systems that are no longer supported. The following servers were supported in 5.5 but are according to the VMware HCL no longer supported in vSphere 6.0.
Your server is listed and you want to upgrade? Don't panic.
- Usually, the list gets smaller a couple of weeks after a new vSphere version has been released. I will update this post when I notice changes.
- Not supported does not mean that it does not work.
- Servers get certified by their vendor, not VMware. If you want a server to get certified, ask your vendor.
- Vendor support matrices and VMware HCL have some mismatches at the moment (HP and IBM). Servers are listed at the bottom. Please ask your vendor or VMware if you are allowed to upgrade.
- Did I miss something? Please comment.
Last Update: May 2, 2018