For servers without CD drive or remote KVM you might want to use an USB Flash Drive to install ESXi to the hardware. This post explains how to create a bootable ESXi Installer USB Flash Drive in less than 2 minutes. The Flash Drive will work totally identical to an Installable CD.
- Download Rufus
- Download or create an ESXi Image
- Connect the USB flash drive to your computer
- Open Rufus
- Select your Device
- Select your ISO file
- Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI computers
- Press Start
- Select Yes when it asks to replace menu.c32.
- Rufus will now create your bootable ESXi Installer USB Flash Drive. This will take about one minute.
When you boot a server with this USB Flash Drive the ESXi Installer will copy the whole installer to the memory which means that you can install ESXi to the device where you are installing from. Just select it during the installation. This also works for diskless ESXi hosts where you want to install ESXi to an SD Card.