vSphere 7.0 has been released and as known from previous versions, VMware provides a free version of their Hypervisor ESXi for everyone again. The license key can be created for free at VMware's website. It has no expiration date. The binaries you will receive as "Free Hypervisor" are 100% identical to the paid version but with some software limitations.
Tech Specs and Limitations
- No commercial support (Community support)
- Free ESXi cannot be added to a vCenter Server
- Some API functionality is missing (API is read-only)
- No physical CPU limitation
- Number of logical CPUs per host: 480
- Maximum vCPUs per virtual machine: 8
- The Key is restricted to 100 Physical Servers deployments.
Other limitations like the 32GB Memory or 2 CPU Socket limit are no longer in place.